Export Permit Update

  • Share:
April 09, 2019
 US Export Permit Update - April 9, 2019

Health Canada, Controlled Substances and Cannabis Branch continues to work with the Canadian Embassy in Washington and other federal departments seeking official clarity from the US on the requirement for import permits in the USA.

The DEA is no longer issuing import permits for viable seed.  It is unclear at this time whether the USA continues to require import permits or whether another government agency [ie USDA] will assume this responsibility. Health Canada continues to communicate with the US Embassy in Ottawa and the Canadian Embassy in Washington to determine American import requirements for Canadian viable hemp seed. 

Health Canada advises that export permit requests should be submitted to Health Canada without any import permit from the US so that the review process can procede. Should the clarification from the US indicate that some other sort of permit is required, Health Canada will contact the applicant for any additional information.

Application for a Permit to Export Industrial Hemp

The Canadian Hemp Trade Alliance (CHTA) is a non-profit organization with a mandate to create an economically sustainable Canadian hemp industry benefiting all stakeholders along the value chain and enhancing the nation's health and natural environment.